Friday, January 16, 2009

Close Call


My new job is going well. The hours are long but it turns out I like working. I'm arriving an hour and a half earlier to work than at Sony and I leave anywhere from thirty minutes to two hours later. That said, it's not work.

Sure I have tasks, deadlines, and am challenged every day. None of it seems a chore. Only two months in, I received a glowing review. Not only was I a good guy, as my boss was prone to point out often, I exceeded his expectations for the position and was performing at a level which he expected at the six month mark. All of this was made so much sweeter since I was not laid off from my previous employer this last Thursday, as so many of my friends were.

My old boss didn't replace me when I left. So I'll never know if I would have actually been cut. Considering every single person in the marketing department I designed merchandising materials for was relieved of their jobs, I'm fairly confident my old position was not relevant considering the state of the dying music industry. It's unsettling getting a jolt of happiness from avoiding the cuts while watching so many of my friends cut loose, but having gotten out only two months ago, well ... I can't help but smile.

Fortunately everyone I was really good friends with at Sony were sparred. Are they the lucky ones? I've asked this question every time we've had lay-offs at Sony (once a year, for fourteen years, except the year they announced the big merger which resulted in a forty percent cut of the workforce the following year.) I know I was wishing to be laid off while at Sony. I know financially it would have been the best situation to receive a severance package especially considering the packages are based on tenure. My decision to go west has been proved to be a good one considering. Even if it wasn't for how much I love the job. Right decision. Even if I didn't love the weather (hitting high fifties while Chicago suffers through minus eighteen without considering windchill.) Right decision. Even leaving all of my incredible friends behind. Right decision.

That last one is a stretch. I certainly miss all of my friends. I can always return to Chicago if this place ends up not suiting us. If the job doesn't work out. If I miss my friends. Doing it on my terms is the most important part of the equation. So far so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leaving Sony for a cool and interesting job you like- good decision.

Leaving Chicago during the winter months for the warmer temperature of Seattle- good decison.

Leaving your new wife at home to pack up the condo while you're establishing your Magic career- good way to show the world that the woman you chose to spend the rest of your life with truly is an exceptional and understanding woman:)

Leaving your friends behind? Not possible. None of us are the "behind" of anything and neither are you. You're just as much in our lives today as you ever were. You're name is frequently brought up. We just went to your parent's house on Friday, and I got a really cool mix tape (CD) from you in the mail the other day. I actually turned to Keith the other night and said, "I keep forgetting that Tom's in Seattle." Besides, it sounds really cool to refer to you as our good friend in Seattle. Now get the misses there already, so you're officially moved, cohabitating, and living it up as residents of Seattle:)