Monday, August 25, 2008

Velvet Murphy























I've had only a few moments of self enlightenment in life. One was inspired by a Velvet Underground song in my teens. "And everything was all right" might seem like a throw away lyric spewed forth by a hippie laying in the middle of a field, but taken to heart and applied generously, you'd be surprised at how comforting those five words are. Everything is all right turned into everything will go on. Letting one small thing ruin your day is setting you up for a big tumble when something big actually happens. How you react to life's daily trials affects your mood, the moods of those you encounter, and can / should ultimately set a mellow, relaxed pace for your entire life.

Murphy's Law provided me with the other moment. In it's original dismal verse, it paints a picture of an unlucky soul that the world is set on destroying. Take from that the basic message, with none of the depressed self loathing, and you get: Anything that can happen will. A phrase that, in it's preparatory sense, allows someone to consider every possible outcome in any situation. Coupled with the Velvet lyrics, I'm provided caution and comfort simultaneously.

Driving down the highway I am both worried about getting cut off and all right with it. When a loved one passes, I'm never surprised because sometimes people die. When they're gone, Lou's words level me out and push fond memories of the deceased into consciousness. I'm often one of the few at a funeral with a smile.

A few days ago the job was posted. I've waitied over two months for the post and have been trying to get to Seattle for nearly six. I've always known that things might not go my way. In prep, I've attempted to think of every possibility so, if confronted by bad news, I would be only mildly depressed as opposed to homicidal. For all the attention and thought I've given this job quest, I neglected considering one possibility.

The Seattle company had lay-offs just prior to the job being posted. Instead of walking papers, open positions were offered to the newly jobless. I hadn't considered this as a possibility, which is fine because I can't think of everything. But had the position been handed to someone with one foot out the door, my fragile kitten self would have been sent spiraling. Or maybe I would have been happy for them to get the position. After all, I still have a job. Even if I hate it.

3 comments:

OCD OD said...

Wait, I'm confused. Was your position offered to one of them?

Slack-a-gogo said...

I'm also confused. Did someone on the outs get back in? Or is it still in limbo? Or is this a zen riddle that you're using to teach us a little about ourselves?

And regarding your lyric, Lou via the Velvets also said "Baby don't you holler, darlin' don't you bawl and shout, I'm feeling good, you know I'm gonna work it on out". Although I think in that instance he's referring to not getting heroin, but you know, there's a little latitude in how you apply the words to your own life.

Muscle in a Cavity said...

That last paragraph is a bit confusing. Had, had, had is kinda vague. The job is still open and I am very much in the running.

I just heard back from them yesterday, they want me to start on OCt 4th!

Nah, they wanted design samples. An online portfolio to be exact. Not having one, I went straight home and made one. It took me from 6:30 - 3:30 but I like how it came out.